judging ethics

C11Hartel at aol.com C11Hartel at aol.com
Fri Apr 28 08:57:13 PDT 1995

My lord put his two cents in on the judging ethics, now I'll add mine for
what it's worth.  I have judged several smaller arts competitions and have
have seen the work of friends that I did not score highly.  I feel I am
probably harder on those I know for the sheer fact that I know what they are
capable of actually doing.  I once had a friend become upset when she did not
receive a high score and I told her it was due to the fact that I had seen
her put out much better work in the same area.  My lord also enters A&S
competitions from time to time and I would have no qualms in judging his
entries IF I felt I was knowledgable in the area.

This brings up the point of who is actually qualified to judge.  I have a
knowledge of inkle weaving, some calligraphy, and a bit more illumination but
I am in no way qualified to judge the merit of metalworking, armour
construction, or say brewing\vinting.  I can say that is is
     a) nice to look at
     b) nicely crafted to my inexperienced eyes
,    c) has a functional use
     d) it tastes/smells good
BUT...other than that I am at a loss.

The shire I play in (Tempio) breaks its A&S into two catagorties, OPEN and
FIRST ATTEMPT.  The "judging" is done by populace vote.  Each person receives
a bead for each catagory and as they look at all the items they are to place
a bead in a cup next to the item of their choice.  Some people base their
decisions soley on "If I could take anything home this would be it," others
take the time to read the documentation (which we do not make mandatory but
do encourage) and judge from their own existing knowledg of medieval arts and
sciences.  In this manner the winners are chosen by their "peers".  Also , we
have a form for the entrants to have the populace place constructive criticism
 on if they so choose.  These comments can range from the "It was really
pretty" to "Here's another good source for you to look into if you so
choose".

Speaking of ethics and dilemnas, I once listmistressed a team-style tourney
with a girlfiend and had the following happen.  Our lords actually won the
tourney by  having the most amount of points but she and I were afraid
everyone would holler that the list was rigged since it was our lords who had
won.  A final bout was fought (by the Crown's decision) with our lords and
the next three teams which were tied for second place.  In the course of the
fight-off our lords lost a bout which caused them to come in second and one
of the second place teams actually won due to the points system.  If we had
to go back and do it again the teams would not have had the fight-off.  The
standings would have stood as they were and any who wished to see the scoring
system  and points  could have done so.  It was very hard to sit in court
that night listening to a second place team who had won in an "overtime" go
on about the honour and chivalry and good fighting that day and not once
mention the fact that the only reason they were up there at all was beause
two listmistresses felt awkwarkd about having their lords declared the
winners.  Either way our lords lost that day...

I have rambled far too long and my loom is calling to me...
I hope this has helped a bit.

Moriel***