judging ethics

MstrssMara at aol.com MstrssMara at aol.com
Fri Apr 28 11:12:39 PDT 1995

I'm going to add my two cents worth here.............

When judging the Arts and Sciences you must try and act only as a judge, not
friend, not husband, not wife.  It is more fair to honestly give the entrant
feedback both good and bad.  The worst thing you could do is to tell the
entrant what they want to hear in the name of friendship.

Look at it this way.  Should a Knight fighting his squire call a different
blow?  Should a Lady and Lord draw each other in the list, should one or the
other call a lighter (or harder blow)?  No!!!!! How or we to grow and to get
better if we do not get the proper feedback?

Should I have to judge one of my apprentice's work I think I would be able to
do it fairly.  While I agree that the best of all possible worlds would be
that I could get some else to take my place, if it came to it I would do them
the service of giving them honest judging.

Mistress Mara MacNaughton