ansteorra V1 #24

Chris Walden cmwalden at bga.com
Sun Apr 30 18:59:38 PDT 1995

More discussion on Rapier trends.  I'm replying to everyone at once, because
it comes into my mailbox through the digest in this way.  If anyone has
problems following things because of this, let me know and I will reply to
each message individually.  However, since this is more convenient, I will
indulge myself.

However, before I begin my replies, I have another general question.  Of
those who are following this discussion, what is your involvement with
rapier fighting.  Do you watch?  Do you fight?  Do you marshall?  How long
have you done what-ever it is that you do?  If you don't even know what a
rapier is, but are just enjoying the potential for debate, that's OK too.
I'm just curious, since I haven't learned yet to attach people to their more
nebulous Net counterparts.

>From: <STDDLY at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU>
>The marshall probably assumes that you would speak up if you were not
>satisfied or that you would discuss that with your opponent.
He is right.  *I* would.  However, I am a large-mouthed special case.  I
think that some people who are entering into this game a-new will find
something else to occupy their time rather than speak up.  They may simply
be unsure of something and not know what to say.  Asking if they are
satisfied, and really meaning it, could make all the difference in the world
to that one fighter.  However, if the rules say we don't have to ask, then
that's that.

>Believe it or don't, a lot of people are not working under the
>current rules for participants.
Let me rephrase the question.  What are some of the current rules that you
feel are important, though overlooked?  What do you see that people who are
behind the times do that you feel are unsafe, or detract from the game?

>From: James Crouchet <crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com>
>You seem to have a point to make, but I am not clear on what it is.
You are encountering a strange new phenomenon about Antonio.  I'm trying to
listen before I open my mouth quite so wide.  I do have some opinions, but I
think that what others have to say is more important right now.  If I'm
lucky, I will hear something that will  change my opinions before I've
expressed them prematurely.  (I'm trying not go off half cocked!)

>If this is the case, what is your point?
Point is, are you pleased with the current rapier community?  If you are
why?  If you're not, why?

>You have an unusual perspective on our game and I would like to ask, if
>you were put in charge of all fencing in Ansteorra (or the SCA) what
>would you change? How do you think it should work?
Not yet!  I'm not going to show those cards yet.  I'm going to try and find
out more about where others are coming from first.  Like I said, I may not
have full understanding of some points and I want to find out before I
expose myself.

I'll look forward to more from you.  Thank you for indulging me a little.
I'm not meaning to be mysterious.  I do have some ideas and opinions.  I do
not have *the answer* to anything.  I just want to get more discussion on
some things before I jump in too deeply.  I've argued long and hard with
someone who agreed with me before, simply because I was to caught up with my
own side to listen to theirs.

I remain Yours, etc.
Antonio Bastiano (Cadet to Don Alden Pharamond)
or cmwalden at bga.com