Devices - was - Re: Heraldre idea, cont...

Mordraut Freyulf mordraut at moritu.com
Tue Aug 8 09:51:34 PDT 1995

>...  For the
>first return the blazon describes the wyvern as azure, but the person drew
>it with two colors, which could not be described heraldically.  To me this
>would be a case of artistic license, to them it is a return.  Instead of
>registering it as the blazon describes, they returned it, which means that
>he will now have to wait another 6-8 months:-(
>
>One of the little-known quirks of SCA heraldry is that the blazon (text
description) is not registered.  The emblazon (picture) is registered.
Therefore is you want your device to pass, draw it according to the heraldic
rules on the submission form.  After it is passed, draw it however you want.
In this case the emblazon was not blazonable, therefore it could not be
registered.

        If this is truely the case, why bother putting a blazon at all.  I
always guessed, yup I am not a herald, that they would use the blazon to
determine exactly what the submitter was trying to draw, IE: colors,
charges, etc.. if there was any questions on the emblazon.  This would make
sense if the submitter was not a trained heraldic artist, or did not have a
heraldic pallet available.
        In the case of my badge, had I drawn it, the only way that anyone
would have known that the main charge was a panther would have been by
reading the blazon.  Luckly, there is a good heraldic artist in Bryn Gwlad:-)

Mordraut

|   Mordraut Freyulf  |    This .sig brought to you by the     | Dark Horde |
| mordraut at moritu.com | letters D, H and M, and the number 6.  |   Moritu   |