Heraldry idea...

Todd Marsh tmarsh at airmail.net
Fri Aug 11 15:40:24 PDT 1995

Michael Litchfield wrote:
So what if some yobbo decides he wants to register a purple dinosaur
rampant? Who will that hurt? *GASP* She might decide to parade it at an
event. Well there is currently nothing stopping someone from parading an
unregistered version of that now. I do not think the CoH should quit
assiting people in designing period armory, however we should stop coercing
people.

We agree that anything can be displayed at an SCA event.  I think we agree
that people should be encouraged to display good armory and shown examples
of good armory rather than forced to change.  It seems that we disagree on
the role that the CoH does and should play in encouraging good armory.

When the CoH registers a device, it is saying 2 things: that it follows the
current CoH rules, and that is not already being used by someone else.
That's all.

Should the CoH change it's rules?  Some people think so, and are working
_within_ the CoH to influence change.

Should the CoH register anything that people want?  No.  That would remove
all validity and value from the registration.

Should heralds spend more time teaching and less time reviewing
 submissions?  That would be nice.  Since I only have a few hours each
month to devote to heraldry, most of it is spent in my barony's commentary
sessions.  I know the hours some heralds spend, and am reluctant to ask
more of them.

Llywelyn