Heraldry idea...

R. Michael Litchfield litch at eden.com
Thu Aug 10 15:50:02 PDT 1995

>It's not a bad idea, it's just that most SCA folks seem, at the time
>when they start to seriously think about designing a coat of arms, to
>already have a lot of pre-conceived notions about what heraldry should
>look like.  Most of them wrong, however.

Whee here we go again, no, the people are not wrong for having an idea
about what they want. That idea may not be medevial, and that may become
important to the person at a later date but it means that they have
different priorities from those of the heralds.

>  They arrive at their local
>herald, or at a heraldic consultation table at an event, with a design
>that they've spent hours working at.

And get gratuitosly insulted

>  It's very rare to get someone
>who will, upfront, tell you, "Well, I like blue and yellow, and
>eagles.  What can I have that looks nice?".  The usual pattern is that
>they want their entire persona history and all of their current SCA
>interests mixed into their coat of arms somehow.

Most people in the sca want thier heraldry to be a form of personal
iconography it is the heralds who have this mental block which precludes
them from dealing with this fact and working towards making that a part of
the game. They instead insist upon people playing thier game by thier
rules.

We should record people's heraldry without regard to periodicity, or rather
with only period style being encouraged but NOT required.

-Michael