Period Heraldric Styles...

Pug pug at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 17 09:51:16 PDT 1995

>> No, you missed the point that it we aren't *required* to wear period
>> clothes, so why bother? It's the same thing. This is just a matter of
>> you are telling people who only use Period Styles that they are cool,
>> and everyone else isn't. Just another place to encourage instead of
>> *require*.
> Costuming knowledge is much more widespread than heraldry knowledge. I
> have seen a lot more good first costuming attempts than first heraldry
> attempts.

Was it always widespread? Did people have to enforce period costuming to
get people to do it? No, they just had to encourage by example.

> There is also a fairly significant socal pressure to wear clothing that
> is at least not distractingly non-period. On heraldry, fewer people seem
> to even have a clue.

You think there wouldn't be social pressures if someone had a large
penis on their shield, or even a cartoon?

> > You mean all those people who got heraldry in the early days are now
> > discouraged from playing because they don't have period heraldry?
> Huh? I don't think I see your point, and I don't think you answered mine.

The point was that the early SCA heraldry wasn't period. I'm not sure
which question you are referring to. If you mean 'so why bother?', it's
because in general people will want to comply, but that doesn't mean
they have to! (Btw, I've heard that some heraldry doesn't pass because
of the content, usually puns, eventhough it is period. That seem
*wrong*.)

> > That's fine with me! Heraldry doesn't have to be undescribable, and I
> > never said it didn't have to to be. Just that it doesn't have to be
> > "period" style.
>
> I'm not sure how much heraldry you know, so I'll point out that modern
> heraldry is not THAT much different from period heraldry.

That is about as much as I know.

> A few concepts
> that the mideaval man would find disturbing have been added, and a couple
> colors, but where most folks have problems is with HERALDIC style, not
> period style. So you can use orange and 3-d perspective, so what? Still
> no Mickey Mouse(tm), landscape art, non-herladic divisions or gross
> complexity.

Fine with me. How about the 2 groups being period and modern heraldry
then? I didn't mean to imply that absolutely all heraldry submitted
would pass, just that there would be two classifications. (Yeah, I know
I didn't state it clearly at all.)

> > Why have one area and not others? Implies that it's elitest to me.
> Your sentence implies elitism is a bad thing... :-)

To some people. *grin*

Heraldry is the one place that it seems a large number of people feel
the elitism is bad. Could this be because it's enforced upon them?

> > It's optional whether to go to events or not. Do we force periodness
> > there? No! The entire SCA is optional, why have *one* part of it enforce
> > periodness?
> And why not?

Cause I feel arbitrarily deciding *one* thing is period an all others
aren't is childish. I'd love to see everyone be period in all matters,
but they aren't. Why force period heraldry down their throat just
because they want to ensure their arms are unique?

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
pug at arlut.utexas.edu  |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"