Period Heraldric Styles...

Nan Bradford-Reid n.b-reid at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Thu Aug 17 16:06:05 PDT 1995

Someone writes:

>> The rules of
>>heraldry do not apply only to devices prior to 1600, they apply even today.
>
>No, they don't.

Tell the English Colleg of Arms that.

>Take a look at simple things, like field treatments. Field Treatments are a
>highly uncommon occurance in period heraldry, however once you start
>getiing into post-period heraldry they become much more common.

Field treatments become more common for one reason only:  There are just so
many ways you can use a plain field, per pale, or per fess; diversity
springs up so more people may have arms.

>Take a look at the difference between post victorian and early norman
>heraldry for a lesson in diversity.

See above.  Further, the Victorians were gluttons for any kind of fru-fru
they could lay their hands on and their heraldry certainly should not be
taken as examples of what we are trying to achieve.

>> I agree with Savian, if one
>>doesn't want real heraldry, why be concerned with what the heralds think,
>>anyhoo?
>

>Decause i might not want someone else using my device.

Bingo, what do you think I've been trying to say for *days*?

Catherine