Period Heraldric Styles

Nan Bradford-Reid n.b-reid at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Aug 18 07:33:55 PDT 1995

>michael replies to Catherine:
>
>> I agree with Savian, if one
>>doesn't want real heraldry, why be concerned with what the heralds think,
>>anyhoo?
>

>Decause i might not want someone else using my device.
>

>>Catherine
>
>I'm sorry but registering your device doesn't prevent
>someone else from using your device. Tell me, what
>would you do if you registered your device and then
>found someone else using it?

I would politely ask them not to use it and a courteous person would comply.

>At the same time, if you wish to gather together
>your own alternative college for registering non-
>heraldic/non-period devices you certainly can. You
>would have the same tools to work with as they.

I don't. If you have been following this entire exchange, you will know
that I am not espousing that anyone work outside of the CoA if they want
HERALDRY.  If what they want to display is some sort of other art, then no
one can stop them.

>If that is what you want, go for it. But, I think it is
>unfair to ask the heralds to spend all the time they
>do checking devices on checking non-period or non-heraldic
>art for conflicts.

Exactly what we have been trying to say, Stefan.  I think you have probably
missed the point of what Savian and I are trying to say.

Catherine