Heraldic supporters(LONG!reply)

C11Hartel at aol.com C11Hartel at aol.com
Wed Aug 23 07:33:59 PDT 1995

>> 3)Registraion date for your name and arms(these BOTH must have passed in
>> order to get your "REAL AWARD" scroll.
>
>Wait, I'm confused!!! (Nothing new, huh?)
>
>In order to get one's AoA scroll, they have to have their Device passed
>first? (or is it Arms until during the interum?) Or is this not relevant
>for AoA?

I'm sorry for not having put this piece of info in on my previous post about
the Achievement Text...Those of you reading this during work hours better
have a LONG break ahead because this gets lengthy...

Anyone can receive an any level award whether their device and name have even
been submitted let alone registered.  Some of Ansteorra's Peers and Nobilty
have not had their names or arms registered.  Let's say the Crown gives you
your AOA (Award of Arms)  this entitles you to be called "Lady" or "Lord"
so-n-so.  At that time the Crown gives you a pretty mass produced, xeroxed
scroll which has been handpainted by some crazed illuminator and all the
pertinent info hand-calligged in by one of Their Majestie's scribes. The
scroll is called a "Charter".   (When I first got in 10 years ago these
scrolls were called "Promisory" scrolls, they sort-of "promised" that you
would get a real hand-done scroll at a later date).  If I remember correctly
all awards charge that the heralds will help you find right and suitable
arms.  Once your arms and name have passed Laurel you may then fill out an
Achievement form (see previous post) and send it to the Star Principal.
 He/She will then check to make sure all your info is correct and then will
pass it to the Star Signet , the person in charge of all scrolls and finding
someone to  construct them.

The Star Signet will then find a Scribe/Illuminator to hand-design you an
original Award of Arms Scroll.  Once this person has been found, they start
to work on your scroll.  Sometimes the scribe/illuminator will contact you to
see what type of art or special style calligraphy you would like on your
scroll, other times they just do one on their own.  Once the scroll is
finished I believe it goes back to the Star Principal who puts his/her
signature and official seal on the scroll and you then receive it at a court.

But wait...that's not all...You are entitled to one FREE scroll per award
LEVEL.  That is, you are allowed 1 AOA level hand-done scroll, 1 GRANT level
, 1 PEERAGE level, 1 NOBILITY level...all free!  Anymore than that and you
must pay a scribe/illuminator for their time/cost of materials etc...  The
cool thing is that you may "sandbag" on your awards.  As an example:
              Jon Doe receives his AOA
              Lord Jon Doe receives a Sable Thistle for Foolery
              Lord Jon Doe then receives a Compass Rose for his outstanding
work with                       the children.
              Lord Jon Doe then has his name and arms passed by the College
of Heralds
Now Lord Jon gets together with his local herald, fills out the Achievement
Registration form and mails it.  Once it has gone through all the proper
channels, he will eventually receive an original scroll.  This scroll will
have his aAOA listed, his Thistle with its appropriate insignia drawn on the
scroll, and his Compass Rose with its insignia drawn on the scroll. All three
are AOA level awards...thus his one free scroll for that level has been
fulfilled.  If at a later date Lord Jon receives any other AOA level awards
he must pay to have a scribe do an original scroll for that award, unless he
is buds with a scribe who will graciously do it for free...

This procedure is the same for each level of award which starts into a whole
new field of questions...what award goes under each level...As I am currently
a stay-at-home Mommy-Creature I could go on for another four or five pages
but I won't,  at least not right now. (typer's cramp and all that ...)

Hope this helps some.  Pleas note that this is how I remember the system to
have once worked.  If anyone out there can udate this info or correct it
please do so, I hate to be outdated...

Moriel^^^