Heraldic supporters

Michael A. Chance mchance at crl.com
Sun Aug 27 19:52:34 PDT 1995

Greetings from Mikjal Annarbjorn!

I've been catching up on my e-mail since returning from Pennsic, and
have finally read all the way through this thread.  And the one thing
that keeps running through my mind about all this discussion of
registering heraldic supporter et al is: Why?

After reading the descriptions about what is permitted at the various
levels of recognition, I can't find anything that is even remotely
historically based about these sumptuary laws.  I've never found
anything in medieval or Renaissance heraldic texts that describe the
types of restriction that Ansteorra (and, I believe, only one or two
other kingdoms) have imposed on this type of armorial display.

>From my (admittedly limited) readings on the subject, the idea that a
noble could not display his or her coat of arms with supporters, helm,
crest, and mantling of their own choosing seems decidedly odd.  In
fact, I've seen several period examples of "burgher arms", that is,
arms of merchants and craftsmen, displayed quite prominently in town
halls and churches across France and Germany, with what we would call
a "full achievement" as embellishment.

If people using armory in period managed to use these artistic
additions to their armorial display, regardless of rank or station,
what purpose is Ansteorra attempting to further by mandating these
types of restrictions?

Mikjal Annarbjorn
--
Michael A. Chance          St. Louis, Missouri, USA    "At play in the fields
Work: mc307a at sw1stc.sbc.com                             of St. Vidicon"
Play: mchance at crl.com