Tuchux

Pug pug at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 31 07:05:21 PDT 1995

> Here's the scoop on the Tuchux/Vlad story and this is the one I heard as
> well, I believe it's the right one, as this guy was there:

Note, I'm just going by what I read, and would like to make a couple
comments. And since I can't get to my newsserver right now, I'm shooting
blind on updates.

> >   Vlad says "F**K off and mind your own business !" (He was in the middle
> >of an argument, remember) The lady is 15 feet away, trips again, and Vlad
> >limps towards her to help. Dusty clocks him with his rattan stick, full in
> >the head, thinking he's defending the lady, even tho' she was 15 ft. away.

Vlad's spokesperson, since Vlad isn't on the net, stated that Vlad was
holding his wife and heading back to camp when he was hit. This seems to
be a very important point that I would like cleared up, but it doesn't
seem to be.

Here is the part in question, for me anyway, from Rowan -
sscampbe at uoguelph.CA (Stephanie S Campbell):

    Vlad has been hobbling about on a broken foot for two weeks now,
    and was no better then.  He was hobbling back to camp, (the "FINE
    THEN!" part of the argument) when Ygraine took after him, tripped
    on her hem and went ass over teakettle.  He turned to help her up
    when he was yelled at by the Tuchuc in question to "Stop beating
    your wench".  Vlad, of course being the diplomat that he is, told
    the guy to "f*** off and mind his own business".  He was walking
    away, holding up Ygraine when he was hit from behind with what he
    claims was a stick.

As I read that, it could show Ygraine in danger *if* what Dusty thought
was happening really was. I admit that if she really is 15' away she
isn't in danger. My point isn't that Dusty was in the right here, but
lots of people are going on the assumption he was 15' away and thus she
definately wasn't in danger. I would tend to believe Vlad on his
location over an eyewitness considering all of them have said they could
barely see 30' that night.

> >   Three guys from Vlad's camp run over and start beating the snot out of
> >Dusty.
> >   It stops.
> >   The police are informed, and Dusty is checked out as OK in hospital, and
> >comes back.

This part is very vague in some people's eyes on weither it happened or
not. I honestly don't know what to think here.

> >   Later the Coopers (the campground owners) throw the entire Tuchux camp
> >off, and Vlad's as well. Everybody - not one clan, not one household. All
> >of Vlad's, and all of the 'Chux.

The part that irritates me, only minorly, is that the Tuchux is a
nation. Why wasn't all of Vlad's Kingdom thrown out? *smile*

Btw, the reasoning behind this was both groups had been repeatedly
warned about policing their own members for distrubances. Now, one
question here is, concerning their repeated problems between the two
groups, why did they camp them next to each other?!

> >   They all go home, not before the Chux spend the entire night drumming
> >loudly and burning all of the things they built as camp structures in a big
> >bonfire. Not many people are happy.

Was it 'Chux, or people trying to petition for the 'Chux?

> >   Perhaps Dusty will be charged, perhaps not,

Vlad decided not to press charges at the time. I don't see how someone
could retroactively do this very easily. *shrug*

> >but at the moment Rialto has
> >degenerated into a session of telling us all why the Tuchux don't belong,
> >unprecedented numbers of the Chux are online defending their guy, saying
> >that anyway, they were on Pennsic's site first, long before the SCA.

Phhhtt!!! Gosh, let me see. The guidelines for the SCA say dress is an
attempt at pre-17th Century clothing. It's an attempt. It may not be
historically correct, but it's an attempt.

As for Pennsic, everyone is in agreement that the 'Chux were there
first, but that doesn't mean they have to show up the week that we do. I
don't see how we can kick them out though.

Just because someone is rude doesn't mean they aren't useful. You just
have to learn to turn them to your side instead of against it.

Btw, the only thing I've said in the thread on the Rialto is the part
about Vlad and Ygraine's location when the attack occured. I didn't
bother jumping in with the rest of the mess. (I haven't gotten word one
about my post though. *sigh*)

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is something
pug at arlut.utexas.edu  |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"