Origins of Ansteorra...

PTM2792 at UTARLG.UTA.EDU PTM2792 at UTARLG.UTA.EDU
Tue Feb 28 15:39:42 PST 1995

As I understand it, the origin of the name of our kingdom is to be found in
the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, which refers to the "an steorra", the "one star",
unique and singular in the heavens; Halley's Comet, which also appears in
the Bayeaux Tapestry.  Thus the central star in the kingdom arms, the Award
of the Sable Comet, and our kingdom's motto, "Unicus et Singularis".

I confess I find this a pleasing origin story.  For all I know, it might even
be true.

- Galen of Bristol,
who used to be a herald,
and whose personal motto is