bjornsborg baronial court

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri Jul 7 12:30:19 PDT 1995

Mistress Maire wrote:
>Uh, I am afraid I can not just forget it. TRM and myself CHANGED KINGDOM LAW
>by signatures and announcement in court etc at Crown this spring. ...
> I looked at Kingdom Law, saw the protected event was Bjornsborg
> Baronial Court, ...
> Officially,
>Bjornsborg Baronial Court, IN KINGDOM LAW, in now X weekend in march so we
>can NOT just blow it off. That is when Bjornsborg Baronial Court is and will
>be unless law changes again. Sorry.

Come now, we're better rules hackers than that.  Until it's all
straightened out, it's *spelled* "Bjornsborg Baronial Court" but it's
*pronounced* "Lyonesse".  Or it's BBC, butf for some odd reason it'll
just *happen* to look exactly like Lyonesse.

Of course, we could wonder why V.4 (Kingdom Events / Perpetual
Events), the list of perpetual events, even exists.

Note that the word is "PERPETUAL", not "protected".  V.4.b sez "These
events are specifically not protected and may have other events
scheduled on the same date."  Per V.2.a, Crown Tourney and Coronation
are the only protected events.

The only thing you get with "perpetual" listing is that they "have
definite dates reserved on the Calendar of Events for them each year".
Who manages the Calendar of Events (the Kingdom Chronicler)?  Can they
really refuse to list an event, and if so on what grounds (given that
even perpetual events are explicitly not protected)?

If perpetual listing is useful, why does every event have to be listed
in kingdom law, meaning that the Kingdom Seneschal and the Crown have
to be involved with every change?  Couldn't just the general
principles be put in V.4?  E.g.: each barony gets at most one
perpetual event; the Kingdom Chronicler is the maintainer of the
Calendar of Events and the List of Perpetual Events; KC and the
Seneschal may choose to approve changes to the list, for one year only
or permanently, upon petition of the Baron/ess and baronial seneschal;

Or just say that -x- weekend is perpetual for group -y-, and they can
do what they want with it and call it what they want.

Not that changes happen that often, but the current scheme still seems
like a minorly suboptimal mechanism.

--
Daniel de Lincoln
			     Tim McDaniel