Event Ideals

I. Marc Carlson IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu
Tue Jul 11 16:07:52 PDT 1995

<litch at eden.com (R. Michael Litchfield)>
>>1.   Authenticity
>>     b.   Mundanity, where it can not be expunged, is made as
>>          unobtrusive as possible (Modern tents, for example,
>>          placed further from the center of events, parking and
>>          modern appearing facilities (Showers, kitchens, more
>>          extensive classrooms, etc) are also out of sight).
>One thing that might need to be considered about this is what about people
>with disabilities? If we take the mundane conviences they need too far out
>are we not making our events inhospitable for them?

Well, since, in essence, this *was* your suggestion initially, do you have
any further suggestions to address this potential inequity?

>Actually I could almost deal with something like this, if wwe could find
>some way of certifing people as experts capable of evaluating something.
>The ones that really frost my coconuts are the yuzes who's only source is
>something they think they heard while drunk at a fire in some even 4 years
>ago.

I tend to agree :)

>Is this actually soemthing we want to try to encourage? If it is done well
>it can be rather nice, but not one person in 10 can do it weel, and when it
>is done poorly it really sucks.

It was mentioned as an ideal.  I personally think the idea of 500+ people
at an event to be a bit screwy, but since you mentioned it, I put it in.

Diarmuit