Oath of Fealty

Nancy Bradford-Reid n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 14 07:55:32 PDT 1995

--Huge snip from Etienne's message--

>... They still have the oath of fealty lifted
>straight out of Lord of the Rings (To do and to let be, to speak and to be
>silent... until my lord release me, death take me, or the world end) that I
>would like to see go away ....

FYI--I checked with one of our medieval scholars here at The University of
Texas, and that oath IS period and dates back to the 13th or 14th century
and so is perfectly appropriate for us to use.  It actually has a latin
name, which I cannot recall at the moment, but will look up if anyone is
interested.  Prof.  Kaulbach can also get me period latin and French copies
of it.  He is both a Medievalist and a Tolkienist and knows his stuff
backwards and forwards.

Catherine

Nan Bradford-Reid
The Department of English