A couple more questions on war

Nancy Bradford-Reid n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 24 07:17:35 PDT 1995

Diarmuit wrote:

>history of militaria, however I would be remiss to just blindly accept these
>things as facts, based on the word of someone I don't know, without some
>idea of the authority of your sources.
>

>Then why have they fallen out of use as a standard item?  I vividly recall
>being taught the basics of formation movement and drill in Basic Training, but
>we never once used a drum for cadence in routine formation movement.

A) Does *Master* Cynric ring a bell?  You know, the guy who got his laurel
for, among other things, research and performance of period persussion
instruments.

B) Probably because we no longer march into battle.  With the almost
complete move to guerrilla-type warfare, drums have been found to be a
little impractical.  They tend to, um, let the enemy know where you are.
They are still used in parades, as you know, by almost all armies, as an
extension of the old ways of going into battle.

Only my humble opinions, I'm sure more learned folks will have more to say.

Catherine