Event Ideals (fighting)

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Jul 11 11:06:02 PDT 1995

>Kein MacEwan writes:

(lots of snipping)

>I have a plea to tournament organizers. Please remember to allow
>fighters to practice their art, as well as their showmanship.

>I have dropped out of tournaments because the tourney organisers
>(nonfighters) were trying to make it more interesting for the audience.
>This usually makes it hard or impossible to display my art, sometimes
>silly and demeaning.

Could you (or any other fighter reading this list) give more concrete
examples of both of these statements? As a non-fighter, I don't know
exactly what a fighter might deem as silly or demeaning, which I might
think sounded fun.

Personally I would like to see more ransom tourneys or passage at arms
(I've only read about this one). I find double- & single-elimination and
swiss-type tourneys *really* boring to watch. These types of tourneys
make an emphasis on a "winner", when in my opinion, there should not
necessarily be "a winner".

Estrill Swet
Dancemonger
Mooneschadoweshire