Table settings (was SCA speak)

David Mann uccxdem at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Jul 11 14:18:20 PDT 1995

     >>Why not?  Other organizations seem to manage to do it.  It can't be
     >>worse than the miles of list rope that we have bought.  The dozen
     >>pavillions, the 'loaner' armor etc.
     >Yes, and that stuff is already incredibly difficult to mainatin,
     >store, etc.  Oh, Mirrim, Baronial Quartermaster, how dost thou feel
     >about keeping track of even more bowls, etc.?
     We don't have that problem. One of the things we do is pull all the
     shire owned things together in one spot and check it all twice a year.
     This helps by familiarizing the newer members with the shire owned
     equipment (rogation day) and gets everyone together for an outing. Oh,
     we don't have a dozen shire owned pavilions just 9, 13 available total
     for use. I wouldn't say that things are difficult to maintain, just
     bothersome. It has to be done to keep the items in usable shape. I
     have to repair one of the pavilions because someone shoved a pennon
     rod through the top (time for a 'setting up and striking pavilions'
     class.)

     >>Actually our shire has 120 trenchers which we made from wood for
     >>just such purposes (#2 pine, roughly carved and burned with the name
     >>of the shire, cheap to make).
     >Same applies.  we had a ton o'trays that Earl Kein and his squires
     >made and because of lack of storage space they were kept under a tarp
     >at someone's house and have since become firewood.
     This is where the group needs either a storage shed at someone's house
     or rent a storage locker. We did have some wood items not get stored
     like they should have been. Guess what? firewood. This was the time we
     built our shire shed.