Event Ideals (fighting)

STDCLB at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU STDCLB at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU
Wed Jul 12 10:51:04 PDT 1995

Date:          Tue, 11 Jul 1995 17:49:15 -0500
To:            ansteorra at eden.com
From:          litch at eden.com (R. Michael Litchfield)
Subject:       Re: Event Ideals (fighting)

> When a person enters the list, most times he/she is
>entering to win the list.  Thats what it is all about.

ARGHHH!

This is the attitude which has turned me off of fighting in the SCA more
than anything else (well maybe the White Belt force field & free knee
shot
bullshit).
Believe it or not there are a lot of fighters who are not in it "just to
win"
that attitude tends to make for rhino-hiding, questionable blows, and
the
whole host of unchivalric behaivior that occurs too often in the
society.

The society I joined had ppl that fought for honor, glory, and to do
curtosy to the people who's favor they held. Now, I guess winning is
all
that counts.

> It gets right down to
>you aren't entering the list so whether or not you are bored by it is
not an
>issue.

Tripe. Egregious tripe. This is not the Society of bashing people with
rattan, it is about a hell of a lot more than just whether some stupid
stick jock bubba wants to win.

>Mara O.L.

-mcihael

Is your language really approprate, you can disagree with someone
without resorting to crass language.  It only make you look
under-educated, and underminds the good sections of your points.
I'm new to this list but not the society, and I know that this doesn't fit
with the consept of civlary, or are you not in to that either?

Lynette