Event Ideals (fighting)

Nancy Bradford-Reid n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 12 16:00:10 PDT 1995

RE: Lyonness:

>Although I have to admit that they need to do a better job of keeping
>cars out of the encampment and I missed the period encampment this year.
>I truly enjoy being able to walk into/through a period encampment and
>oogle the things I can't wait to have.

The period encampment was the creation and work of a group of individuals,
primarily from Bryn Gwlad.  Some people criticized them for being "snooty."
For whatever reason, they did not choose to do it again.

>[ story of last Lyonesse ]
>
>I saw several fights where someone would "give" away their hits. I even
>believe I saw his Excellency Kein lightly tap his opponent twice before
>the match truly got underway.
>
>The way the fighting occurs at Lyonnesse really keeps the audience
>engroused in the activity. There is also a wonderful A&S display and
>partying well into the night. (I just love people getting drunk and
>talking about the differences between their workers owning land versus
>just working it.)
>
>Ciao,

I, too enjoy Lyonnesse.  One of the most enjoyable events in recent history
was the Laurels' Prize tourney up in Steppes.  But a lot of that had to do
with the incredibly pleasant weather we had.

Catherine

Nan Bradford-Reid        |HL Catherine Harwell, CIM, AST
The Department of English|Barony of Bryn Gwlad, Kingdom of Ansteorra
The University of Texas  |~Simplicitas sum Venustas~
512-471-4991             |Argent, on a fret vert, a rose gules,
n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu |barbed and seeded or.