Ideal event

Robert G. Ferrell rferrell at bga.com
Wed Jul 12 16:33:45 PDT 1995

>Phelim Uhtred Gervas, "Pug" <pug at arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:
>> <Pulls out his handy dandy electronic webster that is only 32 years out
>> of date to find the following of relevance>
>
>Of course, a modern dictionary isn't necessarily the best source for a
>definition of a medieval word, much less a shorter dictionary and a
>word that has a long historical development.  The French equivalent,
>"chevalier", literally means "horseman".  (I wish I could find a
>reference quickly, but I dimly recall later kings issuing "distraints
>of knighthood", where the sole criteron was that the person had enough
>landed wealth to be a knight.)
>
>> 1c: a member of an order or society
>is overbroad: a Benedictine is hardly a knight.  8-)
>
>If we're going to quote dictionaries, I'll reply with the OED (1st
>ed).  It seems a bit more detailed.  The change from "servant" to a
>specific service also happened in "vassal", and from "man" to a
>service in "baron".
>
>"1. A boy, youth, lad.  [c893-971]
>
>2. A boy or lad employed as an attendant or servant; hence, by
>extension, a male servant or attendant of any age.  [c950-c1250]
>
>3.  With genitive, or poss. pron.: A military servant or follower (of
>a king or some other specified superior); later, one devoted to the
>service of a lady as her attendant, or her champion in war or the
>tournament; hence also fig., and even applied to a woman (quot. 1599).
>[citations c1100-1859.  The 1599 citation is from Much Ado About
>Nothing v.iii.13.]
>
>4.  Name of an order or rank.
>
>a.  In the Middle Ages: Originally (as in 3), A military servant of
>the king or other person of rank; a feudal tenant holding land from a
>superior on condition of serving in the field as a mounted and
>well-armed man.
>
>In the fully-developed feudal system: One raised to honourable
>military rank by the king or other qualified person, the distinction
>being usually conferred only upon one of noble birth who had served a
>regular apprenticeship (as page and squire) to the profession of arms,
>and this being a regular step in this even for those of the highest
>rank.
>
>b.  In modern times (from the 16th c): One upon whom a certain rank,
>vregarded as corresponding to that of the mediaeval knight, is
>conferred by the sovereign in recognition of personal merit, or as a
>reward for services rendered to the crown or country. ...
>
>In point of rank the mediaeval knight was inferior to earl and baron
>... The characteristic qualities expected in a knight, as bravery,
>courtesy, and chivalrous conduct [a tautology -- DdL], are frequently
>alluded to, and the name (esp. with adjs., as "a good knight") often
>implied these qualities as well as the mere rank. ...
>
>5b.  freq. transl. L. miles, a common soldier. [citations c1200 to
>1563]"
>
>For "fighter": "One who fights; occas. a fighting man, a warrior."
> [...]
In my time and place, Knight (and we Saxons invented the word) just means a
member of the King's retinue.  Since it is difficult to follow a West Saxon
King around without fighting for your life on occasion, ipso facto, knights
are fighters.  There are two types of people: alive and dead.  All this rank
stuff sounds like lawyer and clerk talk to me.

Cynric