Event Ideals (fighting)

Mordraut Freyulf mordraut at moritu.com
Thu Jul 13 05:57:46 PDT 1995

No longer sure who wrote this >>>>
Cynric wrote this >

>>> When a person enters the list, most times he/she is
>>>entering to win the list.  Thats what it is all about.

>     I don't like the concept that winning is all that counts, either.
>However, at the risk of splitting hairs, what constitutes winning is not
>necessarily as clear cut as it may appear.  I generally consider myself to
>have won if I feel good about the way I fought, regardless of the observable
>outcome of the bout.  I think a lot of fighters feel this way.  To the
>victor go the spoils, but each victory brings a different form of reward.
>To go (voluntarily) into a bout without the hope of some form of victory is
>not only discouraging, it is a waste of time and effort.  I might even go so
>far as to suggest that it demonstrates a marked dysfunction of the higher
>reasoning faculties, if you catch my drift.

I go into every fight with the thought of victory in mind, but to me victory
is when someone, either my foe, or the populace watching comes up to me and
says that they enjoyed the fight.  That is victory, more often than not I
would rather lose a good fight, than win an uninteresting one.  That is not
to say that I don't want to win, but it is not the main reason why I am on
the field, especially in tournament.  War is another matter altogether:-)

Mordraut

|   Mordraut Freyulf  |         To try is to succeed           | Dark Horde |
| mordraut at moritu.com |         To NOT try is to fail          |   Moritu   |