Sca-speak

Nancy Bradford-Reid n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 13 07:16:39 PDT 1995

>---------         Feast Gear             ?
>

>What's wrong with "feastgear"? It doesn't clash in my mind.
><<<<

table ware?

>Clothing/Costume  Garb                   Clothing
>

>I think "garb" is fine. It certainly beats "costume".
><<<<

Garb in period more accurately refers to a shock of wheat.  Gear, believe
it or not, is the more period term for clothing.

>Normal            Mundane                Futuristic?
>

>I see no problem with mundane. There is no period
>equivalent. "Futuristic" is as cutsey as "farspeaker" and
>"dragon".

I have a problem with "normal," as if what we are doing is somehow
"abnormal"?  Maybe unusual, out of the ordinary, but not abnormal (well,
there are some...).

Everyday, modern, 20th century might all be acceptable.

>As for the others, I would like to eliminate the fantasy
>terms first and don't use them myself.

I'll second that.

>Stefan li Rous

Catherine