Music

Kevin Varner kmv at abm.austin.tx.us
Thu Jul 13 06:35:46 PDT 1995

 Having lived in three different Kingdoms I have seen musicians treated
 in everything from completely ignored to avid attention and standing
 ovations. I'm afraid most people at an event consider the live troupe
 in the corner to be *Muzak*. Trying to do a *performance* in the feast
 hall is akin to standing on the street corner downtown - some will
 listen, some won't. However, the noise level goes on and on...

 Perhaps a set up as a chamber group giving an actual concert. I don't
 recommend using the main hall for reasons listed as above, but anyone
 who interrupts the concert could be given the *eye*. While living in
 Drachenwald I attended a flute and piano recital. Everyone went into
 the chamber, they locked the door! This poor guy at the back of the
 room had to visit the privy. He stood up and room went silent. The
 music stopped and everyone stared at him until he slunk (sic) back to
 his chair. This may be a little extreme for SCA use, but the musicians
 and patrons were serious about *their* music.

                                  Duncan