Ideal event

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Thu Jul 13 07:28:36 PDT 1995

On 12 Jul 1995, Mark Harris wrote:

> We all seem to agree that the standard SCA language stinks. Let's start
> using these terms and see if we can get them to catch on. Any other
> suggestions for better words?
>
> I would like to suggest:
>
> Fencing instead of light weapons
> and
> car instead of dragon
> (yes, these are period terms used in a period way)
>
> Anybody got a suggestion for _heavy weapons_ or _autocrat_?
>

> I prefer rapier and armored combat to fencing/light combat and
> heavy combat.

But these are just more SCA-speak. I was the one who popularized those
terms here in Ansteorra by instructing all my field heralds to use them
(I was in charge of field heraldry for the kingdom). They are certainly
better than the jarring Heavy & Light, but I still have yet to find a
single usage of either in period writting (which I do read).

> I think "fencing" is a post-1600 term.

I think you are wrong, but I am not sure. Let's get the guy with the OED
to look it up for us.

> Stefan li Rous
> <<<<<
>
> Savian