Ideal event

eric brown caladin at io.com
Sun Jul 16 16:10:42 PDT 1995

>Clearly we have adequate terms to describe the people who fight heavy
>weapons style of SCA combat, but can we find a better term than *heavy
>weapons combat*? The rapier or light weapons style can be called by a
>period term ie: Fencing. Is there a similar term that could be used here
>that would also be recognised as distinct from fencing?
>

>Clare

Personally I have Taken much pleasure in the terms, already growing in
popularity, Chivalric and Duello Combat, although If i really work at it I
sure I can find that period manuscript that uses the term Real fighting for
something like heavy weapons and calls light weapons something like
"assinine foolishnes suitible only for killing your friends and countrymen
in back allyways and spiting chickens before roasting" but it's a bit long
to fall into normal parlayance although I kind of like "Real Fighting" ... :)

Caladin-
  Caladin Ironhearth,            |  Eric W. Brown
  Bryn Gwlad,                    |  3229 Parkhills Dr.
  Scotland, 1595                 |  Austin, Tx, 78746