awards (Was Ideal events or something)

Keith Ewing keandbc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jul 16 20:58:06 PDT 1995

>Mikjal Annarbjorn wrote:

>Well, yes and no.  There is a goodly number of things that the Crown
>can do something about, but the award and title structures isn't one
>of them.  Much of those elements of the SCA is enshrined in the
>Corpora and By-Laws, which can only be changed by the Board of
>Directors.  Who haven't seem very inclined to seriously consider
>suggested changes, even when presented with solid evidence that the
>suggest alternatives are more authentic.

Well, yes and no. Corpora has rules concerning peerages and nobility
which a Crown would have great difficulty in changing. Recent history
has shown us, though, that if several Crowns get together the BOD will
listen, and listen well. 3 years ago I would have said that it would be
impossible for a Crown to change these rules. Now I would say that you
would have to convince a Crown that something is SERIOUSLY wrong,
before they would take on the BOD.

On the other hand, concerning awards below the rank of peerage, the
Crown can change these awards with the stroke of a pen. (See page one
of kingdom law).

A crown will welcome suggestions or constructive critisism in written
form. Please remember that they (hopefully) have the welfare of the
entire Kingdom in mind any time they act or choose not to act on any
suggestion or criticism. And I would also say that, since the recent
problems, the same is true of the Board of Directors concerning the
entire SCA. They've changed. Really.

Kein MacEwan

mka Keith Ewing