A question on War

Nancy Bradford-Reid n.b-reid at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 18 06:58:44 PDT 1995

><mordraut at moritu.com (Mordraut Freyulf)>
>>     Because they are fun?  I enjoy fighting in war far more than I do in
>>tournament, as most people who know me can tell you.
>
>Ok, so they're fun for you.  I can accept this with no problem.  It may
>just be that as a Scholar I have little use for wars, other than as a topic
>for later study.
>
>I suppose what concerns me is that I can't afford to go to ONE
>war, let alone any of the others.
>
>Let's see.
>
>We are involved in the Gulf Wars. We've got contingents that go to Pennsic,
>Estrella, and Lillies.  Now rumor (probably baseless, but it's what brought
>the question to mind) has it that we are now looking to go to war with the
>Outlands, Calontir, and/or Meridies.
>
>Am I the only one who thinks that this is a bit extreme?
>
>In any case, what good are they?  Ok, now from the non-heavy weapons
>fighters :)
>
>Diarmuit

Uh... they get your heavy weapons fighter out of the house for a long
weekend so you can clean those disgusting areas where he plants himself if
there aren't any wars?  No, seriously, the wars give fighters a chance to
use what I would think are more *period* fighting skills (the way we fight
the *majority* of tournaments is not period at all, being we don't start on
horseback).  Wars give the fighters a chance to experience cameraderie and
teamwork, that kind of all for one thing that tournaments do not engender.
Having many wars is no different than having many events: you choose the
ones you can go to and leave the rest behind.  And, having fought a couple
of times in melees, they are fun, if somewhat scary.  Now I fence and I
have no problem with Conor going off to war, although this year we couldn't
afford Gulf Wars, can't go to Pennsic--gawd, when am I gonna clean the
house....

Catherine