semantics

Paul DeLisle pdelisle at innet.com
Tue Jul 18 12:50:00 PDT 1995

>a very good one, so here it goes:  How can you use a dictionary to
>justify the a word, when there were no dictionaries in the time frame
>of the society? (the first being written by Samual Johnson, and before
>this there was no real consenus on the definition of word, their

SNIP!

Well; it depends (just like heraldic texts [grin]) on which dictionary you
use. Standard dictionaries aren't of much use; however the OED (Oxford
English Dictionary, you know; the one that takes up a wall?) shows the
earliest recorded uses of the word in question, the sentence or phrase it's
used in, and the date of the usage. (And I *still* say it documents the term
"Lordship"  sufficiently! [another grin])

                In Service, I remain
                Alden Pharamond
                Mendersham, Ansteorra
                  In Service, I remain