Is Name Research an Art or a Service?

Meadhbhni at aol.com Meadhbhni at aol.com
Wed Jun 7 07:09:22 PDT 1995

I think name research is a science AND a service.  It takes skill to properly
research a name, device, etc.  I do think that this 'science' gets overlooked
with respect to awarding Sable Thistles.  Heralds have a very thankless job.
They work hours and hours researching names, devices, etc and get very little
thanks (if any) or recognition for that work.  Also, I think many people look
at the research done in heraldry more as a service than a science.  The way
to change that is to start recommending people for thistles.

I know its been done before.  A good friend of mine received a thistle for
heraldry a few years back (during Rowan and Hector's reign).

just my 2 cents.

meadhbh