Is Name Research an Art or a Service?

Aodhan Ite an Fhithich aodhan at dobharchu.org
Wed Jun 7 18:52:05 PDT 1995

Dia duit!

 [Replying to a message of Jennifer Kubenka  to All]

To answer the Subject question, Yes.  It is an "art" (as in a skill or craft)
to do proper research.  It is a service to share that research with others.

 JK> When one researches names, naming practices, etc., and then uses that
 JK> to  help other gentles with perfecting their persona names, why is it
 JK> that  the helping of the other gentles is sometimes rewarded (maybe
 JK> even years  later...) with some sort of Kingdom Award, but the actual
 JK> researching,  the digging through massive piles of information, of
 JK> dictionaries, of  annals and church registers, and so on, isn't ever
 JK> even brought up for a  Sable Thistle in Research?

I believe this is a form of the "if a tree falls in the forest..." question.
If someone does lots of research, but does not share that research, does the
Society benefit?  Eimile and I have a library of 380+ titles on things Irish
and/or Celtic.  If we had read all of these (can't though - gotta work to pay
the mortgage and buy more books <g>), that would constitute a tremendous
amount of research.  But should the Crown reward us if we never shared that
research with others?

If a fighter practices daily for hours at his pell, until he has prefected his
speed, timing, and form, but never enters a tourney, should he expect to be
knighted?

 JK> Is this not research?  Is it because the results are not as tangible,
 JK> say, as my needlework?

Is your needlework tangible if no-one else in the SCA sees it?

This is a basic of the SCA.  Good work that goes unseen and unreported goes
unrewarded.  If you know someone who is doing excellent research and sharing
it with others, write the Crown and tell them of this persons good works.  If
you know someone who is doing excellent research, but is not sharing it,
encourage them to do so.  There are a number of venues for this:  King's
College, TI, CA, the Black Star, local newsletters, local collegia, guild
meetings...

 JK> I do believe there is one example of a gentle receiving a Sable
 JK> Thistle  for heraldic research, and I will supply the name if you
 JK> think it germane  to this discussion.

There are a number of people who have been given Thistles for Research and for
heraldic arts.  The following list is from the 01/28/95 version of the Roll of
Precedence database (which, BTW, is available from my BBS or my Web page):

Adelicia Gilwell                         Research
Adessa MacDonald                         Heraldic Display
Alaric Liutpold von Steinman             Heraldry
Alastrina McKeary                        Heraldic Art
Anebairn MacPharlaine of Arrochar        Book Heraldry
Aubrey de Baudricourt                    Renaissance Research
Brigetta Olavsdatter of Kiel             Costuming & Heraldry
Clare RosMuire Saint John                Historical Research
Dimitrii Sviatoslav Varulovich Polynov   Name Research
Erick Liminur                            Heraldic Artwork
Gareth Tremain                           Research
Giovanni Lorenzo da Montefiori           Heraldry
Juchi Mergen                             Heraldry
Korwyn Marius Velis Ariannaid            Field Heraldry
Livia Madeleine Montgomery               Name Research
Maili Donnel MacGregor                   Heraldic Art
Malachi Delacot                          Research and Publications
Pedran Glamorgan                         Voice Heraldry
Peregrine of the Crescent Hawks          Heraldry
Richard of the Silverdawn                Heraldry
Robyn Murchadha                          Heraldic Art
Thorfinn Halfdan                         Antiquity & Coin Research
Tostig Logiosophia                       Research
Yoshimoto Yodoshi Ichiro Gawa            Research into Japanese Culture
Zoren Uff Eiren                          Heraldry

 JK> I would really like to know what others think about this, as it is
 JK> only a  theoretical, hypothetical question, but one that my lord
 JK> Archibald and I  found interesting.

Well, you have my thoughts on the matter...

Feicfidh me' ari's thu',

Aodhan, Zodiacus agus Solstice
Baron Aodhan Ite an Fhithich    aodhan at dobharchu.org
Master of the Laurel            Lough na Dobharchu' BBS  1-713-338-2570
Dobharchu' Herald               "Your Information Roman Road"
mka David H. Brummel            1:106/22  180:11/22  762:2200/2
SCA Member 02245                Barony of Loch Soilleir, Ansteorra
http://www.phoenix.net/~dbrummel
plummety sable and argent on a sun of eight rays or a feather bendwise
sinister sable