Is name research an art or a science?

I. Marc Carlson IMC at vax2.utulsa.edu
Tue Jun 13 18:03:38 PDT 1995

Lady Livia Madeliene Montgomery, of Northkeep, received a Sable Thistle
for Name Research a few years back.  Lord Kevin Michael Keary (also known
as the Khan of the Great Dark Horde) holds a Sable Thistle for heraldry,
based on his skills as a book herald.  These two were invaluable to me
when I was Northkeep Pursuivant.  Both also hold service awards for their
many contributions to both the shire and the kingdom, and helping people
with heraldic research was one of those contributions we had in mind when
we recommended them for the awards.  In their cases, at least, they have
been rewarded both for their diligent study and research, and also for
their service in using their acquired knowledge to assist others.

I guess heraldic research can be both art and service.

Yours in service,

Dunstana Talana the Violet
(who's had to use yet another account because of the administrative whims
of my former employer - yeesh!)