archery

PTM2792 at UTARLG.UTA.EDU PTM2792 at UTARLG.UTA.EDU
Tue Mar 21 18:41:20 PST 1995

Still catching up from my spring break absence:

Savian raised this point:

"On Wed, 15 Mar 1995, David Mann wrote:

"To Maire and All, Greetings.
"As of a conversation in the last couple of weeks between Sir Barn,
myself and others. Sir Barn expressed an opinion (not official) that
the thistle tips are okay on long bows, but was intending on examining
them shot from crossbows because at the northern region event last Feb.
he was hit by one from a crossbow and it was a fairly hard shot. I
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
think Sir Barn is intending on bringing the subject up at the Goofs
meeting @ Gulf Wars. I shall remind him tonight.
                                                       Marke"

Savian responded:
"Is that to say, a harder shot than he is use to taking from a sword? If
so, it would be very interesting to know the poundage of the bow and the
range.  If the TMs are hitting harder than swords and polearms I guess they are
in danger of crushing helms and shattering bones.<g>"

And Galen comments:
I saw the same thing when I read that note, as well.  Although I am loathe to
fault someone's words when reported secondhand, _if this is an accurate account
of the Earl Marshal's feelings_, then perhaps my brother in chivalry has fallen
prey to that fallacy that arrows shouldn't hit hard.  As I've long said,
Inman's spear hits much harder than Leon's arrows.

- Viscount Galen of Bristol
  "noblesse oblige"