A&S Competitions Was Re: Litch/Hospitaler's office

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Fri Mar 24 14:12:26 PST 1995

bran writes:

>I have pleaded with autocrats to give me lists of those who slaved
>away in the "back room" to make their events successful. I can count
>the number of lists received on the fingers on one hand. I request of
>the populace, that they give me recommendations for individuals who
>they believe are due recognition. All too often, they would rather
>complain than simply say "x really ought to have an AoA."

I'm sorry your populace has been so stingy with names of deserving
people. IMHO because I live in a shire, we've not had this problem,
because we know that there is no one (ie Baron) who will recommend
people. We have to do it ourselves or it won't get done.

>Worse, only good documentation can tell what kind of effort went in to
>the work.
>The best artisans are often rotten publicist! DOCUMENT! Where did the
>idea come from? Where did you get the materials? How did you develop
>the design? What problems did you encounter? How did you overcome them?

Ack!!! There's that word, Documentation. It's just these types of
questions that make some people run in terror! And, after a second look
at them, I don't think I've heard anyone refer to the last two questions
in the documentation. Documentation is too much like schoolwork, IMHO
:-)

It would be so much easier if we could just assume that no one would
enter anything in a competition/display that was not period (since
*proving* that something *is* period seems to be the object of
documentation. Or it at least *feels* that way to me.) I suppose that
just goes to show how much stuff is out there that *isn't* period? This
is sounding very confused, even to me. :(

>No one will hand you a perfect world.  Fashion what you can with what
>you have.  If you wait for someone else to make it perfect, you'll wait
>a long time indeed.

I agree.

estrill swet
Dancemonger