A&S Competitions

STDDLY at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU STDDLY at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU
Sat Mar 25 10:47:58 PST 1995

> Date sent:      Fri, 24 Mar 1995 16:12:26 -0600
> From:           dssweet at okway.okstate.edu (Deborah Sweet)
> Subject:        A&S Competitions Was Re: Litch/Hospitaler's office
> To:             ansteorra at eden.com
> Send reply to:  ansteorra at eden.com

> bran writes:
>
> >I have pleaded with autocrats to give me lists of those who slaved
> >away in the "back room" to make their events successful. I can count
> >the number of lists received on the fingers on one hand. I request of
> >the populace, that they give me recommendations for individuals who
> >they believe are due recognition. All too often, they would rather
> >complain than simply say "x really ought to have an AoA."
>
> I'm sorry your populace has been so stingy with names of deserving
> people. IMHO because I live in a shire, we've not had this problem,
> because we know that there is no one (ie Baron) who will recommend
> people. We have to do it ourselves or it won't get done.

It is a universal problem. Some people actually think that their
recommendations  will not be used by the crown just because they do
not have the "strength" of awards behind them.

> >Worse, only good documentation can tell what kind of effort went
in to the work.
> >The best artisans are often rotten publicist! DOCUMENT! Where did the
> >idea come from? Where did you get the materials? How did you develop
> >the design? What problems did you encounter? How did you overcome them?
>
> Ack!!! There's that word, Documentation. It's just these types of
> questions that make some people run in terror! And, after a second look
> at them, I don't think I've heard anyone refer to the last two questions
> in the documentation. Documentation is too much like schoolwork, IMHO
> :-)

Why should people run in terror from these questions? If they have
done any research at all the questions are easily answered. What's so
hard about a half to one page explaination of how and why you did
what you did and a bibliography of two sources?

> It would be so much easier if we could just assume that no one would
> enter anything in a competition/display that was not period (since
> *proving* that something *is* period seems to be the object of
> documentation. Or it at least *feels* that way to me.) I suppose that
> just goes to show how much stuff is out there that *isn't* period? This
> is sounding very confused, even to me. :(

You would not believe how many things have been entered in A&S
competitions that are not "period" or at least "period style".
Documentation does not always have to prove that something is period,
it shows people you have researched an item and you know what is
period. It also shows those who wish to learn where to go to look for
information and how to go about a project. You would not believe the
number of people (even college educated) who don't have a clue. In
a lot of cases the documentation also shows the amount of work put
into a piece. Such as if you cast the buttons or not; whether the
fabric was bought quilted or not; if the person did all the work on
a piece or not. If you are just looking at the piece to learn or if
you are judging you would automatically assume that the person
displaying the piece did all the work rather than just a part.
To not tell the observers what was not done by you is to take credit
for someone else's work.

> >No one will hand you a perfect world.  Fashion what you can with
what
> >you have.  If you wait for someone else to make it perfect, you'll wait
> >a long time indeed.
>
> I agree.

I also agree.

> estrill swet