Awards and Coronets

Leslie Miller miller at pp.okstate.edu
Mon Mar 27 15:03:51 PST 1995

> To be honest, I think the desire to be King is outside of the other
> peerages.

OK, I can see that.  I was using it as an example of how one could
desire a title (or recognition) and still be considered to exhibit all
the ideal qualities of a per.  But I think I understand your
distinction.

> I think that the desire to be King should be the goal of every fighter
> in this Kingdom. (Since that is how King is decided.) I can understand
> that not all of thm will want the recognition, but this is the ability
> to be the best fighter in the Kingdom, not to be the best Knight.

Oooo.  I don't know about that.  I don't think I want a King who does
not have the qualities of a knight.  The King should represent the
epitome of knighthood, if you ask me

> I honestly view Kingship outside of the peerage realms. This loan title
> has nothing to do with the attributes of becoming peers. (Very little to
> do with Knights as I understand who can become King.)

Any knights out there who care to comment on this?  Sir Kief?
You still lurking?  How do the knights view the kingship?  I would
say that having the attributes of a peer is an integral part of being
a good King/Queen.

> To be quite honest, I am arguing my ideals here. Since I have no plans
> of beoming a Knight, I have honestly don't know how my ideals would
> change. As well, since I have not started moving up any of the ladders,
> I don't know how long my ideals will hold out.

Well, even while I was writing my last message, it occurred to me
that I was arguing Reality vs The Dream, and I wish more people would
take the part of The Dream.  I sincerely hope your ideals will hold out
for a long time.

> Hell, I have no awards, so I guess I have a long way to go and to hopefully
> prove my ideals *grin*

May they (awards) be lavished upon you in abundance, unlooked for,
undesired, but greatly appreciated. :-)

I hope this thread hasn't made me sound like a cookie monger myself
even though I've argued the part to an extent.  Like I said, I freely
admit to having aspired to be a knight, and it was very disappointing
when I realized I would never make it.  I think I can say I always
fought with honor and humility, and I shall have to be content with that.
But there will always be a part of mewho wanted to be "Sir" Gunhilda,
even if it was just in my dreams.  It makes me very uneasy to
consider whether or not that desire/want was a worthy thing.

> > Thanks for a good discussion.  It's really forced me t examine my own
> > motivation and ideals.
>
> Certainly. I hope that we haven't bored everyone else with this topic.
> *grin*

Oh well, there's always the delete button.  Maybe it will have
started others thinking as well.

HL Gunhilda
Shire of Mooneschadowe
Stillwater, OK