Awards

STDDLY at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU STDDLY at TINY_TIM.SHSU.EDU
Wed Mar 29 22:58:37 PST 1995

I was one of those people who when I got my first award (AoA) was
going to decline it. It was cheapened for me because several others,
who got the same award in my group at the same time, didn't do hardly
anything or were SO's of people who did deserve it and the crown
decided to give the awards as a couple. I did not resign my award
because someone I respected told me that if I did that it would
dishonour those who had put me in for it.

I was also one of those who was bitter because I did not get
recognition when I thought I should (or any one else in the area
thought so either). I decided I didn't want any more awards and was
vehement about it. (Don't get me wrong, I have never done anything for
the award I MIGHT get. I just felt that I had been under recognized.)
In the end I got one I didn't think I deserved and am working hard to
do things that in my eyes someone with that award should do.

I still see people get awards that didn't deserve it in my eyes (NOT
in the group I'm currently with). And I see other's who have gone
unrecognized for too long. I can't and wouldn't take someone's awards
away and I can't give awards to those I think deserve it. But I do
encourage people; and write award recommendations and discuss with
people who should get X award and why. In this way I have an effect
on the quality of awards given and to try to see that the things that
made me bitter in the first place don't happen as much.

Lorraine