Heraldry

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Thu Mar 30 15:14:15 PST 1995

On 30 Mar 1995, Mark Harris wrote:

>         Reply to:   RE>>Heraldry
>
> Pug remarks:
>
> >The difference here, as I see it, is that heraldry truly needs to go
> >through the College of Heralds in order to be useable.
>
> Why? The College of Heralds provides a service. (A useful service in
> my mind) But there is no requirement that it be used. You can display
> whatever arms you wish.  If you wish to display arms with a charge
> of a purple volkswagon, I guess you could. People may look at you
> stangely, but that's your problem. Yes you would, in my mind, be
> interferring in the game that most of us are playing, but then so is
> the person walking across the site in tennis shoes and jeans.
>
> Even if you ignore the College and create a conflict with someone
> elses arms, I doubt there's much that can be done about it.

[...]

> Stefan li Rous
> Barony of Bryn Gwlad

I disagree that nothing can be done to stop those who display heraldry
that is registered to another.

In the SCA we seldom take physical or legal action against those who
offend, yet we do keep things under control. The tool we use is social
pressure. It is not a simple as having someone arrested or beating them
up, but it does seem to work in most cases.

If someone showed up with my device at an SCA function I would ask them
to take it down.  If they refused I would begin contacting the various
SCA authorities and have them take action.  Ultimatly no one could do
much more than ask in an increasingly unpleasant maner, but this will
usually have an effect.  I also believe that my local herald, my local
senechal, my baron, the kingdom herald and senechal and even the crown
have an obligation to back my claim to my registered arms, even by
banishment if necessary. By registering your device you are assured of
these same protections.

So if you are not worried about someone else conflicting with you and you
won't really mind if you have to stop using the banner you sewed or the
shield you painted because THEY registered it, I don't see any reason you
should not display whatever you like.

One more note on heraldic (not necessarly period) style. Any heraldic
picture can be described using particular heraldic terms.  That
description can then be used to recreate the same picture.

The reason this is important is because that is part of what the college
uses to check for conflict.  Without those terms we would have to flip
through thousands of pictures to see if they conflicted. So in order for
the college to be able to check for conflict a device must be in heraldic
style. And only by checking for conflict can the college assure you that
your device is unique within the SCA.

Savian