Instrument cases

Susan Johns sjohns at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 22 09:05:14 PST 1995

I've been meaning to make a new case for my psaltery since last June, but I
don't know much about woodworking.  A friend and my uncle have lately
offered to help me with it.  They both know a lot about woodwork, but don't
know much for sure about *period* woodwork.  I'm new to the SCA and don't
have my persona worked out yet, but I'm almost positive I'll be pretty late
Renaissance and probably Itallian.  Can you give me any pointers in making
this thing?  What types of wood, what type of finish (James suggested French
polish?),  should I stain it, and if so, what with?  Any advice on anything
that would be done differently than a mundane would normally do it would be
GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks a lot!

here is a *very rough* sketch of of what I want the case to look like
             12"
          _________
          |\      |
          | \     |
          |  \    |
 28"      |   \   |                         6" deep
          |    \  |
          |     \ |
          |______\|
          |       |
          ---------
These measures are all *very* approximate.  I need a tape measure.  It's one
of those things you take for granted at home, but don't have with you at
college - at least till you learn better.
Mundanely: Susan Johns   |For 'the antique world excesse and pride did hate
in SCA:  Elaine (for now)|Such proud luxurious pompe is swollen up but late
sjohns at mail.utexas.edu   |-Spencer's The Faerie Queen
Austin, Tx  / Bryn Gwlad