Boxes...

Pug pug at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 2 05:42:06 PST 1995

> Seriously, there's been very little change in a plain wooden chest for
> millenia.  Other than going from leather hinges to metal and from wooden pegs
> to metal nails, they're still pretty much the same.

I do not know if I will be able to use wooden pegs, but certainly shall
try. What I am more concerned with is the type of joints to use. Are all
of the boxes to just be butt joints (ie flat long grain to flat short
grain?) or am I able to use such things as finger joints? What type of
fastener to keep them closed? What type of handles? Most importantly,
where can I look for this information?

> Now, if you want to style them after boxes from a particular time and place,
> then details like hinges and nails will become more important.

I unfortunately have not decided beyond early period yet. *sigh* Yes, I
realize this is a very broad spectrum, but until I have worked it out in
my head, I don't want to decide on anything. Unfortunately, I will need
boxes long before me and my lady have finalized times and places of our
existance.

Ciao,

--
Richard Bainter          Mundanely     |    System Analyst        - OMG/CSD
Pug                      Generally     |    Applied Research Labs - U.Texas