combat archery

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Tue Mar 28 11:02:52 PST 1995

First, yes, I have tested the various heads on both the sending and
recieving ends.

The crux of your arguements seem to be that:

1) What we do is dangerous.

2) Some folks don't follow the rules and thus make it more dangerous.

and

3) Marklands are cushier.

To the first two I say yes, it IS dangerous to do what we do in the SCA. I
have not found a Thistle Missle to be more dangerous than a sword though,
and I have been hit by a lot more arrows than swords. My conclusion is
that the Thistle Missles DO STING when they hit, but not nearly so much as
ANY of the few sword blows I have taken.

The solution to the problems you name seems to be to police ourselves
better. Trying to blame this kind of safty problems on a rubber arrow
head doesn't make the game safer -- it makes it more dangerous by ignoring
the real problems.

As for the Marklands being cushier, how about the idea of adding a layer
of foam on top? It would be cheap and eazy to do.

Finally, I will say there IS a place for physics in this discussion.
Physics is not just theory, it is the mathmatics that describes how
things work in the real world.  The 600 inch pounds I quoted translates
into real force from a real crossbow.  If someone states that this head
hits harder we can at least get an idea if this could be so from the
numbers.