Heraldry

R.Michael Litchfield litch at eden.com
Tue Mar 28 13:01:48 PST 1995

>I can only think of two places where I have heard of a sleeve in
>heraldry. One is as the decorated sleeve of a garmet, in particular a
>heraldic tabard. The other is as a charge known as a monche (sp) which is
>a stylized drawing of a lady's sleeve, used as a charge.

It's Maunch I believe, and there is a mundane achievement consisting of a mailed
arm that I think I have heard refered to as a sleeve.

>A bordure is a rim around the shield, drawn wide enough to be
>recognizable as a charge.  I did not say that well, but I could easily
>show you a picture and it would be clear.

Doesn't it have to be a third the are of the shield?

>Here are a few of the NOT HERALDRY things to whatch out for:
[del'd]

some of these are valid concerns, other are obnoxious punctillio that really
only serve as a way of allowing a heraldese to lord over someone not versed
in the minutae and really serve no useful purpose.

>Savian, Persivant at Large

-michael