A&S Competitions

James Crouchet crouchet at infinity.ccsi.com
Thu Mar 30 14:41:13 PST 1995

On Thu, 30 Mar 1995, Jennifer Kubenka wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 1995 Meadhbhni at aol.com wrote:
>
> > Emher says:
> >

> > >Really? I have entered three A&S competitions in all and I >haven't been
> > >asked this once.
> >
> > It seems that this maybe something done here in stargate.  i do know that we
> > have had competitions before where the artisan always stated their level of
> > expertise.
> >
> > meadhbh
> >

> Ahh, I see.  I think this might be a good idea, except that who
> determines when someone has passed say, the beginner level, and is now
> really intermediate?
>
> I would hope that the artisan would be honorable enough to be truthful
> about the project at hand.  In my case, I would definitely be a beginner
> at blackwork, but advanced at Assisi or other forms of counted
> cross-stitch work.  And so I would enter the project accordingly.
>
> Emher ni Maille

Well this assumes that the artisan knows how to rate their own work.
Besides the fact that accurate self evaluation is a rare skill this can
be complicated by simple lack of experience.

For example, I have earned my living doing various types of woodwork, but
in the SCA I have entered only a few A&S compititions. At those times I
received very few comments and those I did receive were something like
_very interesting_. So how do I rate my work?  If I guess too low I will
be considered dishonorable for competeing unfairly. If I guess too high I
will be considered presumptious.

And what of the artist trying a new skill for the first time, if they
turn out to be REALLY GOOD. They would probably expect to enter their
first work as a novice. But if it is far above the work of the other
novices some folks will decide he/she entered to wrong catigory to cheat.

Now, I am not saying these problems are not fixable. But I do think these
issues need to be resolved before such a system is put into place.

Savian