Heraldry

Michael A. Chance mchance at crl.com
Fri Mar 31 09:21:43 PST 1995

> Most people use heraldry for more than simple identification, they use it
> as a for of personal Iconography. They usually are attempting to make some
> statement about themselves with a device. Not simply saying this is me but
> saying this is who I am.

While many people in the SCA may indeed be attempting to use something
that they are calling heraldry for such purposes, what they are doing
*isn't* heraldry.  Heraldry, especially pre-17th century heraldry, is a
fairly easily defined art form.  While there are certainly some grey
areas, on the whole it's pretty easy to define something as medieval
or Renaissance "heraldry" or as "non-heraldic personal iconography".

There is a vast array of historical types of personal iconography,
most of which are not heraldry.  If people wish to use such things to
identify themselves and to mark their possesions, fine.  Just don't
expect anyone to call it heraldry.

If you wish, within the confines of the SCA, to create a coat of arms
for your character or persona to use *as heraldry*, then the "rules of
the game" say that you should attempt to design a coat of arms in
accordance with the styles of heraldry used in the 12th-16th
centuries.  Anything else that you design or use *isn't* going to be
medieval and/or Renaissance heraldry, no matter what you call it.

Mikjal Annarbjorn
--
Michael A. Chance          St. Louis, Missouri, USA    "At play in the fields
Work: mc307a at sw1stc.sbc.com                             of St. Vidicon"
Play: mchance at crl.com