A&S expertise levels

Mordraut Freyulf mordraut at moritu.com
Fri Mar 31 12:16:11 PST 1995

>> Unknown comments:
>Pug comments:

>> I think everyone has too much time on their hands...what is wrong with just
>> entering your AorS for the love of it?  Why worry about whether or not
you are
>> officially an "expert" ?
>
>The probem here is not the experts, but the beginners. They are the ones
>who will get discouraged if they compete and repeatedly don't get
>recognized. I think that was the whole point. Why should someone who is
>doing something for the first, or even fifth, time have to compete
>against a Laural?

What about a strong feeling of self accomplishment.  One does not need to be
*officailly* recognized to be proud of what they are doing.  A fighter going
into a tourney will probably have to compete against Knights, but should
feel good if he/she has a good fight, no matter if they win or lose.

>> If you are entering these competitions to win
>> awards then I suggest becoming skilled at your art.  If you can't win without
>> a separate grouping - then perhaps you aren't skilled enough.
>
>That is the whole point isn't it? To encourage the beginners.

IMHO, if you are entering a competition *just* to win, you are doing it for
the wrong reason.

>> We need to
>> leave political correctness out of this....what I hear being proposed is
>> "outcome-based Arts & Sciences."  It's ridiculous!  Taking away the
>> competition and handicapping the truly skilled artisans makes a mockery of
>> all the hard work and dedication they have put into learning a skill.
>
>Why would it? It allows them to shine above the best in their field. It
>also allows for the field to be larger instead of only allowing one to
>shine.

Because someone who is just after the competition cookies would try not to
progress over a certian level, because if they did then they would have a
harder time winning.

>> There are fighters who will never attain Knighthood, yet you don't see anyone
>> talking about taking the competition out of fighting.  (Although if the
>> current trend with the A&S competition in any indication...)
>
>The difference here is encouragement. How often does the standard SCA
>person encourage someone to enter A&S no matter what? Fighters, on the
>other hand, seem to be encouraged to continue fighting no matter what.
>Fighting against someone who has greater skill is considered a good
>trait, but competing in A&S against the odds, is considered futile. This
>is of course IMHO.

I think that part of this is simple, fighting is not judged.  A fighter
knows exactly why he/she lost a fight.  Also when a fighter has a good, but
loosing fight, they usually get feedback from other fighters.  In the A&S
world that does not happen, people enter A&S competition and often get no
comments/feedback/etc.  So it becomes futile, they do not know why they did
not get any recognition/feedback, all they know is that they lost.

|   Mordraut Freyulf  |   I'm not expendable, I'm not stupid,  |Dark Horde |
| mordraut at moritu.com |       	and I'm NOT going!!            |  Moritu   |