A&S expertise levels

Pug pug at arlut.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 31 11:38:37 PST 1995

> I think everyone has too much time on their hands...what is wrong with just
> entering your AorS for the love of it?  Why worry about whether or not you are
> officially an "expert" ?

The probem here is not the experts, but the beginners. They are the ones
who will get discouraged if they compete and repeatedly don't get
recognized. I think that was the whole point. Why should someone who is
doing something for the first, or even fifth, time have to compete
against a Laural?

> If you are entering these competitions to win
> awards then I suggest becoming skilled at your art.  If you can't win without
> a separate grouping - then perhaps you aren't skilled enough.

That is the whole point isn't it? To encourage the beginners.

> We need to
> leave political correctness out of this....what I hear being proposed is
> "outcome-based Arts & Sciences."  It's ridiculous!  Taking away the
> competition and handicapping the truly skilled artisans makes a mockery of
> all the hard work and dedication they have put into learning a skill.

Why would it? It allows them to shine above the best in their field. It
also allows for the field to be larger instead of only allowing one to
shine.

> There are fighters who will never attain Knighthood, yet you don't see anyone
> talking about taking the competition out of fighting.  (Although if the
> current trend with the A&S competition in any indication...)

The difference here is encouragement. How often does the standard SCA
person encourage someone to enter A&S no matter what? Fighters, on the
other hand, seem to be encouraged to continue fighting no matter what.
Fighting against someone who has greater skill is considered a good
trait, but competing in A&S against the odds, is considered futile. This
is of course IMHO.

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervase | "I want to be called COTTONTIPS. There is something
pug at arlut.utexas.edu  |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"