Athelstan of Staffordshire

Fox A. Purtill blackfox at eden.com
Sun May 7 23:01:43 PDT 1995

>Lord Athelstan of Staffordshire
>Companion to the Iris of Merit
>Holder of the Sable Thistle in Dance and Culinary Arts
>Holder of the Acorn of the Steppes
>Apprentice to Mistress Meadhbh ni Ruaidh o'Chonnemara
>
>Robert Paul Awanessian
>November 30, 1964 - May 2, 1995
>
> Athelstan slipped peacfully away from us on May 2, 1995, after a very brief
>illness. His struggle is over, but ours is just beginning. His spontaneity
>and good humor enriched the lives of
>everyone he came close to and the love and devotion he gave to his friends
>was limitless. His energy and enthusiasim will not be easily replaced in our
>land, but his memory will live forever...

I did not know Lord Athelstan.  I will, however, mourn his passing.
 My Knight (whom I am squire of) passed away in 1980 and it went pretty much
un-noticed within the realms, so un-noticed that until this year he was
still showing as availble on the lists.  But I am his squire "unto death
take me, or the world end."  Unto his memory I continue the dream, and try
to further it by service, chivalry, and curtesy.
 Now another has passed from our realm, one whom I did not chance to meet.
I wish I had, but knowing that I shared the dream with him enriches my life
beyond measure.  I bow my head in mourning for his passing, but raise it
proud knowing that I do continued service to my kingdom and it's peoples so
that they to can share the dream and pass on that new generations.
 Lord Athelstan's passing will not go un-noticed, nor will any who pass from
us as long as I and you, all of you, remember them in all that you do and
strive to enrich each others lives so that if (and when) we pass on we too
shall be remembered with kindness and pleasure and have that too passed on
after we have left.
 I am but a Lord myself, this is but a title, my duty is to squire in honor
and dignity.  I shall continue to strive to that end, but now I vow I shall
honor all those who have passed beyond our lives in my duties, but my heart
will always be to my Knight.