Early Percussion Instruments

Robert G. Ferrell rferrell at bga.com
Tue May 23 23:04:21 PDT 1995

>I have recently made the acquaintance of a woman who writes books which talk
>about the history of percussion instruments from about 900 CE through around
>1750 CE.  She was quite erudite, and she has been known to give talks on the
>subject.  It occurred to me that this would be a wonderful thing to have at
>King's College, but I don't know who to put her in touch with (if anybody).
>
>If someone can speak authoritatively on a period subject, and is not an SCA
>member, do we invite them to speak?  Can they be paid, if the material is
>captivating enough?  I don't even know when and where King's College will be
>held this year.
>
>Who might I have her talk to?
>
>Thorbiorn Nordstrom
>mka Gordon Fossum

Thorbiorn,
     I for one would be overjoyed at the prospect of having someone present
authoritative info on period percussion (seeing as how it's one of my chief
interests in the universe).  As to overall King's College info- contact
Thomas of Tenby (512-458-1485; sere55a at prodigy.com).  As a former Kingdom
MoAS, I have a fair amount of info on King's College, as well.  No one knows
details on where and when yet..it has become rather haphazard in recent years.
     There is absolutely nothing intrinsically wrong with non-SCA
participants teaching classes on period subjects.  In fact, it is frequently
necessary to go out of the organization to get truly professional quality
education on a given subject.  All we would ask is some type of basic
accoutrements to avoid detracting from the atmosphere.  As to paying them,
that can be arranged.  I suspect that paying someone who is not a member may
in some ways be easier than paying a member to teach, since there is then no
possibility of violating either the letter or intent of the "volunteer" spirit.

Cynric of Bedwyn