Adminitrative notes...

Pug pug at arlut.utexas.edu
Tue May 23 06:08:10 PDT 1995

Good Morning,

  This is a couple admin notes to everyone. It won't take long, although
  if people want again, the last one will reappear.

  First, I'm sorry for not being more active as of late. I've recently
  taken over the duties of Chronicler here in the Barony of Bryn Gwlad
  and it's taken most of my free time in either doing the newsletter or
  trying to make sure I'm ready for the next one. Once I get good
  templates setup and a good number of graphics scanned in, it will all
  go much smoother. Now on with the actual list business.

  It's been brought to my attention that some users have recieved
  bounced mail due to this list. What is happening is the site that is
  being sent to does not honor the headers of the mail message and sends
  the message back to the author of the message instead of to the user
  marked in the Errors-To: header. Luckily, this list is setup such that
  the From: header is still the author of the message and not the list.
  The list is in the Reply-To: header. If the list had been in the From:
  header, this would cause all bounced messages to be sent back to the
  list, and cause a wonderful infinite loop cycle until I got rid of the
  user from the mailing list. Now all of you may wonder what this has to
  do with you. Well, besides describing the problem, I've also shown
  that I don't get all copies of bounced mail. Thus when a user leaves a
  site, but is still on the list, I may not get them removed if the bounced
  mail message actually ends back in your message. If you happen to get
  any of these, please send them to me so I can process them. The latest
  user I know of was an MFARLOW. Unfortunately I don't have his site
  handy since I removed him from the list.

  Does everyone in OK get the tx.* newsgroups? If so, does anyone object
  to my starting the discussion of a tx.org.sca group to be created? I
  think considering the volume of traffic on here that it would be
  something that would be appreciated throughout the kingdom, and would
  probably bring more attention to the list. If I created this group, I
  would *probably* have a mail <-> news gateway setup. (I am currently
  trying to do this for the bryn-gwlad list and the austin.org.sca group,
  but I'm having problems with actually getting the software working.) The
  reason I suggest a tx.* group instead of an ok.* (?) is the fact that
  I get the tx.* groups and I don't get the ok.* groups. This makes it
  rather difficult for me to discuss and create the group if I can't get
  to the newsgroup that does this discussion in the first place.

  The list has grown, shrunk, etc over the past couple of months. We are
  currently at 71 users on the regular list and 5 on the digest version.
  At our peak we had close to 100 users. I am needing to advertise the
  list in the Kingdom newsletter, but due to my failing memory, I keep
  forgetting.

  The last thing I want to bring up is the fact that I sorta let the
  charter die a slow death. Does anyone actually want to bring this back
  up on the list? If not I will put it in as the info file sent to
  users.

Ciao,

--
Phelim Uhtred Gervas  | "I want to be called COTTONTIPS. There is something
pug at arlut.utexas.edu  |  beautiful poems. When ever shall we meet again?"